September 4, 2008

Please note the following information from the Mining Recorder’s Office of Indian and Northern Affairs.

Policy Changes in the NWT and Nunavut Mining Recorder’s Offices


Since division of the territories in 1999, the NWT and Nunavut Mining Recorder’s Offices have continued to accept various types of documents for each other to assist our clients and try to prevent any undue hardship on behalf of our clients.  It was recently brought to our attention that this longstanding policy of accepting documents in this way has come into question, particularly when other legislation is involved.


In light of a recent situation, we chose to seek legal advice from our Justice Department regarding this policy.


As a result, effective immediately, we will no longer accept Claim of Lien Documents which identify mineral claims and/or leases which are not located within the mining district where the documents are delivered.  If such documents come into our offices, they will not be accepted and will be returned to the sender.  To avoid any delays, please ensure that the properties identified in the Claim of Lien document are located within the mining district that is managed by that office.  Please ensure everyone in your office is aware of this change.


Thank you for your attention to this matter.  Should you have any questions in this regard, please feel free to contact our office.


Indian and Northern Affairs Canada

Mining Recorder’s Office

P.O. Box 1500, 4914-50th Street

Yellowknife, NTX1A 2R3

Ph. 867-669-2691

Fax: 867-669-2714

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *