Just a reminder that the new Wills, Estates and Succession Act (“WESA”) comes into force on March 31.
WESA will replace the following Acts in their entirety:
- Estate Administration Act, RSBC 1996 c. 122
- Probate Recognition Act, RSBC 1996, c. 376
- Wills Act, RSBC 1996, c. 489
- Wills Variation Act, RSBC 1996 c.490
WESA also repeals certain sections of the following Acts:
- Law and Equity Act, RSBC 1996, c. 253, s. 46, 49, 50 and 51
- Survivorship and Presumption of Death Act, RSBC 1996, c. 444, s. 2.
New probate rules also come into effect on March 31. They can be found in Part 25 of the BC Supreme Court Civil Rules and replaces Rules 21-4 and 21-5.
Please note that as of March 31, all filings respecting an estate will be under the new probate rules and the registry will reject the the former probate forms. Also, as we blogged last October, CLEBC has created a WESA Resource Centre , a portal which connects the user to information and resources on WESA.