CLEBC is presenting a three-day course on Advanced Civil Mediation on February 4th through 6th at UBC Robson Square in Vancouver. This is an advanced level course and will continue to build on the skills acquired in the Fundamentals of Meditation course (or an equivalent).
Combined with Fundamentals of Mediation, this course qualifies the participant for a Certificate of Attendance, confirming their completion of 40 hours of mediation training. This course is also approved by Mediate BC as an acceptable mediation course towards qualification for the Civil Roster. Upon completion, attendees are expected to have acquired the following skills:
- Identifying a range of mediation theories and the negotiation philosophies of participants and counsel;
- The ability to prepare for mediation, including participant readiness, location choice and paperwork;
- Executing the mediation process informed by a sequenced framework;
- Using questioning, reflective, and intervention skills to help advance the mediation;
- The ability to structure and conduct separate meetings with participants; and
- The ability to make informed decisions about how to capture agreement.
Advanced Civil Mediation is worth 24 hours of the Law Society of BC CPD hours and a minimum of three hours will involve professional responsibility, ethics, client care and relations and practice management.