Earlier this month, the Provincial Court of BC released their 2013/14 Annual Report.
Here are a few interesting statistics contained within in:
- The Provincial Court’s budget for 2013/14 was $54 million
- Male Provincial Court judges outnumber female judges two-to-one, but the divide is much more even for recent appointments
- Excluding traffic and bylaw cases, 59% of the court’s new cases were criminal and youth matters
- Adult criminal cases declined by 5% from the last fiscal year; youth criminal cases declined by 10% in the same time
- In 2013/14, the use of video technology saved 20,481 prisoner transports for persons required to appear in Court for preliminary matters
Lots more stats and information are available in the full report here.