University of Victoria Law Professor Val Napoleon has been approved by the Law Foundation of BC for a grant to study Coast Salish Civil Procedure and Language.
Dr. Napoleon is the Law Foundation Professor of Aboriginal Justice and Governance. She will carry out this research initiative in partnership with Chief Doug White III of the Snuneymuxw First Nation. The research will examine:
- the development of a Coast Salish legal system;
- the effect of the social, ecological and spiritual realities of their environment on the development of a legal system;
- the separation of public and private law;
- core principles of Salish civil procedure; and
- how language influences and maintains ways of understanding in Coast Salish civil procedure.
The research will be carried out with the input of people in the Coast Salish communities.