Next month, CLEBC will hold an Access to Justice for Children Conference, to shed light on the rights and entitlements of children under domestic and international laws.
The 2-day conference includes the following sessions:
- Young People’s Views on Justice: Their Lived Realities
- Children, Law, and Justice: A View from the Bench
- Children’s Human Rights: Legal Framework Fundamentals
- Are the Legal Fundamentals Serving Children in Practice?
- Overcoming Barriers: Case Examples
- Services to Support Children’s Access to Justice
- Indigenous Justice for Children
- Child Development Essentials for Legal Professionals
- Children in Context: Supporting Vulnerability
- The Child’s Participation Rights and Access Points in Justice Processes
- Children’s Access to Justice: Next Steps in BC and Beyond
Lunchtime keynote speakers will be The Honourable Raynell Andreychuk, Senator for Saskatchewan, and Dr. Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond, BC’s Representative for Children and Youth, Victoria.
A late afternoon reception on Day 1 will focus on “Lawyers as Champions for Children”, and co-hosted by the CBA National Children’s Law Committee.
The conference is suitable for all learning levels, and lawyers in all practice areas, judges, family justice counsellors, mediators, arbitrators, parenting coordinators, anyone involved in access to justice, and psychologists/psychiatrists are encouraged to attend.