On Saturday, June 7, CLE presents its live course and live webinar “Criminal Practice 2014”. This course is appropriate for recently called criminal practitioners, both Crown and Defence, lawyers who are new to criminal law and experienced lawyers looking for a comprehensive refresher on criminal practice.
This course offers a comprehensive review of the most important practice issues that may arise in a typical criminal file, including:
- the essentials of Provincial Criminal Court procedure;
- how to manage the pre-charge process between the Crown and the Defence;
- about the substantive and procedural considerations shaping counsels’ approach to bail, preliminary inquiries and trial;
- about recent trends in sentencing including First Nations sentencing; and
- to recognize and manage issues of ethics and professionalism in criminal law.
Criminal Practice 2014 is worth 6 CPD hours including a minimum of 1 hour involving aspects of professional responsibility and ethics, client care.