The Canadian Bar Association is one of the many industry associations which we support at Dye & Durham. The organization is known as “the essential ally and advocate of all members of the legal profession.”
The CBA’s mandate is to:
- “improve the law;
- improve the administration of justice;
- improve and promote access to justice;
- promote equality in the legal profession and in the justice system
- improve and promote the knowledge, skills, ethical standards and well-being of members of the legal profession;
- represent the legal profession nationally and internationally; and
- promote the interests of the members of The Canadian Bar Association.”
The national union is the backbone to the territorial and provincial subsections, and to many various groups, one of which is the Young Lawyers. The Young Lawyers is a common interest section of the CBABC made up of members who are law students, articling students and lawyers who have been called to the bar for 10 years or less. All CBABC members who are under 40 years of age are also welcome to join the section. CBABC Young Lawyers have six sections including BC North, Kamloops, Kootenay, Lower Mainland, Okanagan and Victoria.
The purpose of the section is to promote the interests of young lawyers in the CBABC by:
- “promoting and maintaining membership of young lawyers in the CBABC;
- affording opportunities to network and exchange professional ideas among lawyers of similar age or experience;
- sponsoring and/or organizing educational programs and social events of particular interest to young lawyers to advance their professional education and welfare; and
- participating in the activities of the CBA.”
Recently, the CBA British Columbia – Young Lawyers – Lower Mainland held their annual election for executive committee. Our very own In-House Counsel & Manager of Court Registry Support Services, Anne Amos-Stewart has been a member of the section since 2010. She was elected for her fourth one-year term as a member at large of the executive committee of the section. To learn more about the association, check out one of their many annual events.
Our best wishes for the team of young lawyers as they wrap up 2015.