On February 5, a coalition of Fraser Valley municipalities presented Attorney General and Minister of Justice Suzanne Anton with a long-term court expansion plan that will see up to 29 new courtrooms in the Lower Fraser Valley by 2033.
Back in April 2013, the BC Government signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the City of Surrey, the City of Abbotsford. the City of Chilliwack, the City of Langley and the Township of Langley to complete a long-term plan for court expansion for the Lower Fraser Valley.
The two highest priority capital projects (slated for 2018 completion) include:
- Expansion of the Surrey Provincial courthouse by five Provincial courtrooms and update the facility’s infrastructure; and
- Construction of a new 14-courtroom integrated courthouse with five Supreme and nine Provincial courtrooms in Abbotsford.
The plan also includes recommendations for several long term projects:
- A new five-courtroom Provincial courthouse in Langley;
- Further expansion of Surrey’s courthouse by three Provincial courtrooms;
- Expansion of Chilliwack’s courthouse by two Provincial courtrooms.
The plan is now complete and the five municipalities have submitted it to the government to be considered for future capital funding.